When I woke up this past Christmas morning at 5:30 the air was full of excitement, anticipation,  and a very palpable energy. Yet I still had to wake the children up to see what Santa brought. Whenever we go home for a visit nobody can sleep the night before we leave. Yet I still have to carry sleeping children to the car at 7:00 am. 
My little Ry (don't call her that) turns five and all hell breaks loose. At 5:00 this morning we are trying to sleep Michael and I hear "chitter chatter chitter chatter", "Stop!" "ouch!" "MOVE!" "RYYYY."  They are all wide awake.  Michael rolls out bed because I am of course nursing the 18 month old and praying that he falls back to sleep so I can. He shoos the five year old into our bed and grumbles and the rest of the tribe. Fast forward to 6:00am, my sinus' are screaming, (thank you surprise temporary spring), the cat is purring in my face, the dog is cleaning the litter box, the baby is still nursing, YES STILL, the dog is cleaning her teeth from the litter box fill, and I can clearly hear a book on CD prattling away down the hall. Now I just have to get up. But I don't want to get up, I'm tired my head hurts and it's warm in bed. 

 Five minuets later- it's too warm in bed, my head is throbbing, husband is snoring, and somehow everyone, cat included has thrust me to the cliff like edge of the bed. Fine....... I'll get up. Grrrr.

All of this excitement is too neat to be mad about. See the older kids really got into the birthday spirit this year. They made an awesome banner for Ry.  6 feet long and completely filled with color. They even managed to buy the only thing she wanted for her birthday. The bird. The white budgie she saw at Pet Smart. I know, I know, shame on the pet store purchasing. But they are 7 and 10 and I for one am not standing in the way of that kind of enthusiasm.  I swear they are more excited than she is. 

At 6:15 teehee, pitter, patter, pitter, clomp, clomp, here are the bigs "Is she up?" "Can we wake her" "NO! go read." Grumble humph.

It is better than Christmas here. This time it is my children experiencing the thrill of giving someone exactly what they want.  They can't wait to see the her face and feel her joy. I am so loving being their momma at this moment. Of course, it is quiet and peaceful now. Check back with me in two hours after the thousandth round of "no you cannot hold the bird just yet. It's terrified!!" Did I mention my head is THROBBING. Oh me. It's that time of month too.  

1 comments:

  1. I had great fun with Henry and George but miss you all. The cat was draped "dead fox stol style" across the arms of one boy or the other. Why would Anna want a girl. She know exactly what to expect from this variety.
    The Art Department sent two visiting grad students. They came with a 2year old George would have eaten alive.
    Waiting to visit, when the weather improves.
    Kisses to the baby and all you grown children.
    Hank